What We are Looking For
TransForm is seeking a GreenTRIP Planner who can manage and grow our GreenTRIP Certification program, supporting multifamily developments that apply strategies to reduce traffic, parking, and greenhouse gas emissions.
About the position
The GreenTRIP Planner will manage the GreenTRIP Certification program. GreenTRIP Certification recognizes projects that reduce traffic and greenhouse gas emissions through strategies like right-sized parking, free transit passes, and bicycle parking. To date, we have certified more than 40 developments across the Bay Area.
The GreenTRIP Planner will also lead on local and regional policy advocacy for more homes with less driving. They will convene a San Jose Transit-Oriented Development (TOD) Learning Group to educate local leaders (e.g. City and VTA staff, developers, members of neighborhood advisory councils) about GreenTRIP strategies and build support for current and future developments. They will also provide trainings on using GreenTRIP Connect — a free, online tool that equips community members, developers, and government officials with data and modeling to support new low-traffic residential development.
This is a great opportunity for an early to mid-career professional to advance social justice and sustainability at the intersection of transportation and land use policy. The position is based in our downtown Oakland office, and will report to the GreenTRIP Program Director. This position is funded for nine months with a strong potential for extension.
TransForm is California’s leading advocate for healthy, connected communities with affordable transportation and housing choices. For over two decades, we’ve brought together environmental, social justice, and health advocates to shape transportation and land use decisions for the benefit of people and the planet.
TransForm is an entrepreneurial organization with a collaborative and inclusive culture. Our staff of 20+ works closely with partners at the local, regional, and state levels to create more healthy, connected, and affordable communities. Our main office is in downtown Oakland, with satellite offices in Sacramento and San Jose.
Your Key Responsibilities
Manage the GreenTRIP Certification program (80%):
- Guide applicants through the certification process and serve as their primary contact.
- Consult applicants on best practices in traffic reduction strategies.
- Evaluate estimated traffic and greenhouse gas emissions using URBEMIS modeling software.
- Present at public hearings in support of GreenTRIP projects.
- Manage client accounts and track progress in Salesforce.
- Build and maintain relationships with developers, city officials, and other stakeholders.
- Grow the certification program through marketing and outreach to developers.
- Manage invoicing and track payments.
- Design and produce outreach and certification materials using Adobe Creative Suite.
Policy advocacy (10%):
- Engage stakeholders to use GreenTRIP Connect through trainings and presentations.
- Present at community forums with city officials, community groups, and developers to promote and educate diverse audiences about the need for more homes with less driving.
- Convene the San Jose TOD Learning Group, including leading two guided tours of transit-oriented developments in San Jose and handle all meeting logistics, scheduling, and communications.
Other responsibilities (10%):
- Assist with preparing grant proposals and meeting with prospective funders and major donors that relate to this work.
- Stay informed on current issues involving transit-oriented development, housing affordability, parking policy, and other relevant topics.
- Supervise volunteers and consultants as needed.
- Participate in TransForm’s organization-wide meetings, retreats, and activities, including working within the framework of our Social Justice Action Plan. This position requires occasional travel and evening and weekend meetings.
You have these skills
- At least 3 years of relevant work experience.
- Experience with development review and entitlement processes for multi-family residential projects.
- Experience and comfort with planning and running community workshops, trainings, speaking panels and other events for a variety of audiences.
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Enthusiasm for using databases to carefully organize and track information. Salesforce experience is preferred.
- Entrepreneurial spirit, self-motivated and directed.
- A deep commitment to TransForm's mission and a strong desire to be a part of making positive environmental and social change in the world.
- Demonstrated ability to support the values of TransForm’s Social Justice Action Plan, and engage with program staff and external stakeholders in a manner that aligns with our internal culture of respect for diversity, inclusion, and equity.
- Effective collaboration on and across teams; ability to communicate clearly with colleagues, be accountable, offer and accept constructive feedback, and creatively solve problems.
- Graceful under pressure, with a sense of humor and fun.
- Proficiency with Google Suite (Drive, Gmail, etc) and MS Office Suite.
You might ideally have these skills
- Personal and/or work experience with underserved or historically marginalized communities, and/or social justice organizations that integrate equity and inclusion in their internal and external communications.
- Prior experience in a business development or fundraising role.
- Prior experience with client management or customer relations.
- Experience managing staff or volunteers.
- Graphic and information design skills, including developing communication materials.
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Illustrator) is preferred.
- Proficiency with Salesforce.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:This is a full-time (37.5 hour/week), exempt position based in our downtown Oakland office. Compensation is $60,000 - $67,000 per year based on experience and skills. Compensation includes health and dental insurance, generous vacation time, and transit benefits. TransForm also administers a 403b retirement plan.
Our staff is focused on making positive change in the world and supports and values diversity. TransForm is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, LGBTQ persons, women, and members of other underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
TIMELINE: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. To see if the position is still available, you can check if it is still listed in the “Jobs” section of our website. Initial review of applications will begin on January 28, 2019. The target start date is March 18, depending on scheduling availability.
First Posted: December 20, 2018
HOW TO APPLY: Please complete this survey to receive further instructions: