What We are Looking For
TransForm is seeking a GreenTRIP Senior Planner to lead our work with BART to support community and stakeholder understanding of parking and traffic reduction strategies for vibrant, low-traffic and low-parking new development at the Lake Merritt and El Cerrito Plaza BART stations.
About the position
TransForm is partnering with BART on an exciting new project to lead a community engagement process at the Lake Merritt and El Cerrito Plaza station areas, in support of transit-oriented development (TOD) at these sites. These BART stations have been selected as key sites to transform existing parking lots into new housing in walkable, transit-rich areas, and include units affordable to low-income households.
The GreenTRIP Senior Planner will manage our contract with BART, funded through Caltrans. They will provide expert guidance in programs and strategies that support less parking and traffic at these developments, and lead the stakeholder engagement process to ensure the projects equitably serve their communities. This project will also help guide development at BART’s additional “Urban With Parking” stations in San Francisco, Berkeley and San Leandro. The Senior Planner will be supervised by the GreenTRIP Program Director, and work closely with BART staff, community stakeholders, real estate developers, consultants, and members of the GreenTRIP team.
In addition to the project with BART, this position will work to advance GreenTRIP concepts in policies in other jurisdictions throughout the Bay Area, such as zoning code updates, parking minimum reductions, and other strategies to encourage low-traffic new development. They will also provide trainings on using GreenTRIP Connect — a free, online tool that equips community members, developers, and government officials with data and modeling to support new, low-traffic residential development.
TransForm is California’s leading advocate for healthy, connected communities with affordable transportation and housing choices. For over two decades, we’ve brought together environmental, social justice, and health advocates to shape transportation and land use decisions for the benefit of people and the planet.
TransForm is an entrepreneurial organization with a collaborative and inclusive culture. Our staff of 20+ works closely with partners at the local, regional, and state levels to create more healthy, connected, and affordable communities. Our main office is in downtown Oakland, with satellite offices in Sacramento and San Jose.
Your Key Responsibilities
Stakeholder and community outreach (60%):
- Develop stakeholder engagement plans for the Lake Merritt and El Cerrito Plaza communities, in partnership with project partners.
- Conduct interviews with stakeholders and community members, such as elected and appointed officials, community groups, business owners, and neighbors.
- Organize and facilitate three community workshops at Lake Merritt and one community workshop in El Cerrito.
- Summarize and analyze outreach result to inform BART, city staff, consultants, community, and developers.
- Support the GreenTRIP team as needed to present at public hearings in support of GreenTRIP Certified developments. GreenTRIP Certification recognizes developments throughout the Bay Area that apply strategies to reduce traffic, parking, and greenhouse gas emissions.
- Conduct trainings and presentations on the use of GreenTRIP connect for city and agency staff, community leaders, and engaged neighbors around the Bay Area.
Policy analysis and guidance (20%):
- Prepare parking policy analyses and recommendations by gathering research, developing graphics, and presenting them as needed to city and agency staff.
- Develop outreach materials (handouts, etc.) that summarize best practices in parking and traffic reduction strategies and appeal to a broad array of audiences.
- Provide input on property development concepts prepared by developers and consultants.
- Evaluate the benefits of incorporating various transportation and parking strategies, such as increased transit ridership and decreased greenhouse gas emissions.
Other responsibilities (20%):
- Present to city councils, boards and commissions, the BART Board, and various BART committees as needed for project updates.
- Manage the project budget, and provide regular invoicing and project reporting to BART.
- Maintain and manage information using our Salesforce database.
- Assist with preparing grant proposals and meeting with prospective funders and major donors.
- Stay informed on current issues involving transit-oriented development, housing affordability, parking policy, and other relevant topics. Supervise volunteers and consultants as needed.
- Participate in TransForm’s organization-wide meetings, retreats, and activities, including working within the framework of our Social Justice Action Plan.
This position requires occasional travel and evening and weekend meetings.
You have these skills
- At least 5 years of relevant work experience.
- Expertise with planning and running community workshops, trainings, speaking panels and other events for a variety of audiences.
- Personal and/or work experience with underserved or historically marginalized communities, and/or social justice organizations that integrate equity and inclusion in their internal and external communications.
- A deep commitment to TransForm's mission and a strong desire to be a part of making positive environmental and social change in the world.
- Familiarity with at least a couple of these areas: planning policy, parking management, and transportation demand management strategies such as parking benefit districts, residential parking permit programs, or shared mobility.
- Familiarity with working in Oakland and an understanding of local politics, stakeholders, and community dynamics that shape the Lake Merritt BART station area.
- Experience managing program budgets and government contracts.
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to explain technical data and topics to a variety of audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to support the values of TransForm’s Social Justice Action Plan, and engage with program staff and external stakeholders in a manner that aligns with our internal culture of respect for diversity, inclusion, and equity.
- Ability to multi-task and juggle multiple, often competing, priorities; highly organized and graceful under pressure; self-motivated and directed; with a sense of humor and fun.
- Proficiency with Google Suite (Drive, Gmail, etc) and MS Office Suite.
You might ideally have these skills
- Familiarity with helping cities update parking and transportation policies and zoning codes.
- Graphic and information design skills. Experience with Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Illustrator) is preferred.
- Proficiency with Salesforce.
- Experience managing staff or volunteers.
- Proficiency or fluency in Spanish, Chinese (Cantonese or Mandarin), and/or Vietnamese.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS: This is a full-time (37.5 hour/week), exempt position based in our downtown Oakland office. Compensation is $70,000 - $75,000 per year based on experience and skills. Compensation includes health and dental insurance, generous vacation time, and transit benefits. TransForm also administers a 403b retirement plan.
Our staff is focused on making positive change in the world and supports and values diversity. TransForm is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, LGBTQ persons, and women are strongly encouraged to apply.
TIMELINE: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. To see if the position is still available, you can check if it is still listed in the “Jobs” section of our website. Initial review of applications will begin on January 28, 2019. The target start date is March 18, depending on scheduling availability.
First Posted: December 20, 2018
HOW TO APPLY: Please complete this survey to receive further instructions: