What We are Looking For
About the position
TransForm seeks an experienced, highly organized individual with good communication skills to collaborate with our team in implementing our Safe Routes to Schools (SR2S) activities in selected schools throughout Alameda County, with a strong concentration in the neighborhoods of Berkeley, Oakland, San Leandro, and Newark. Our priority is to hire a fluent Spanish speaker to best serve these communities.
About Safe Routes to Schools
Safe Routes to Schools (SR2S) is a national and international movement to create safe, convenient, and fun opportunities for children and their families to walk, bicycle, carpool and take transit to and from schools, with a particular emphasis on low-income schools. TransForm provides site coordination for the Alameda County Safe Routes to Schools program.
TransForm is California’s leading advocate for healthy, connected communities with affordable transportation and housing choices. For over two decades, we’ve brought together environmental, social justice, and health advocates to shape transportation and land use decisions for the benefit of people and the planet.
TransForm is an entrepreneurial organization with a collaborative and inclusive culture. Our staff of 20+ works closely with partners at the local, regional, and state levels to create more healthy, connected, and affordable communities. Our main office is in downtown Oakland, with satellite offices in Sacramento and San Jose.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Working under the supervision of the program manager, implement Safe Routes to Schools programming at selected elementary and middle schools in Alameda County..
- Recruit and train parent leaders, school champions, and community partners at targeted and participating schools.
- Partner with team members to involve stakeholders including city agencies, law enforcement, and community-based organizations to facilitate program implementation at individual school sites.
- Reach out to and meet with principals and other school staff as needed to successfully implement the program in schools.
- Lead education and encouragement activities and events, including but not limited to: Walk and Roll to School Days, the Golden Sneaker Contest, and Bike to School Day, etc.
You have these skills
- Demonstrated sensitivity and understanding of issues facing low-income communities of color; ability to work comfortably in diverse communities and settings; high level of cultural competency.
- Experience implementing a program that engages and empowers parents as valuable contributors and decision-makers.
- Skilled at engaging volunteers in organizing events and campaigns, conducting outreach, and building support for an ongoing program.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office programs and other basic email and web software.
- A deep commitment to the mission and philosophy of Safe Routes to Schools and TransForm, and a strong desire to be a part of making positive environmental and social change in the world.
- Bilingual in Spanish and English.
You might ideally have these skills
- At least 2 years of experience working with parents and/or school staff, in Safe Routes to Schools programs, other school programs, and/or experience in community and/or school-based organizing.
- Experience with event planning; outreach and publicity for community and school events.
- History of good working relationships with diverse populations and communities within Alameda County.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS: This is a full-time (37.5 hour/week), exempt position, starting immediately, based in our downtown Oakland office. Annual compensation is $52,000 - $58,000, commensurate with experience and skills. Compensation includes health and dental insurance, generous vacation time, and transit benefits. TransForm also administers a 403b retirement plan.
We are currently hiring for one full-time position. There is potential for a second part-time site coordinator position, which is dependent on expected funding.
Our staff is focused on making a positive change in the world and supports and values diversity. TransForm is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, LGBTQ persons, women, and members of other underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
TIMELINE: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. To see if the position is still available, you can check if it is still listed in the “Jobs” section of our website. Initial review of applications will begin on October 7, 2019. The target start date is November 2019, depending on scheduling availability.
FIRST POSTED: October 1, 2019
HOW TO APPLY: Please complete this survey to receive further instructions: