- About Us
- Bay Area Transportation
- Bay Area Land Use
- California Advocacy
- Past Campaigns
- Get Involved
Emphasis on "challenge"
The Car-Free Challenge is only one week - but when 3 of those 7 days are calendared for trips to SoCal, the word "challenge" becomes central to my goal of zero miles. Let's take a look at what I've got planned:
- June 1: Oakland. Make sure my partner returns the rental car we're using for Memorial Day weekend.
- June 2: Oakland, or maybe a train ride to Sacramento?
- June 3: San Diego, for a climate change event (ah, the irony).
- June 4: Los Angeles, for a transit-oriented development event that's actually near transit!
- June 5: Oakland, thank gosh!
- June 6: Oakland - with a likely excursion to Albany to help my bro-in-law move.
- June 7: Los Angeles again, to train the new Southern CA organizer who will ultimately help me stop spending so much time on Southwest flights.
Good thing it's not the "airplane-free challenge" or I'd be hosed...but luckily, I know that Southern CA transit systems DO exist. Last time I was in LA I took my boss for a ride on the bus. This time, I invite you to follow me and learn all about my good pals LA Metro, San Diego MTS, MetroLink, and Amtrak. I've never had to rent a car for work trips to LA or San Diego, and I sure as heck won't be starting during the Car-Free Challenge!
Final thought: is there a prize for most transit systems experienced in seven days? I hope so.