What We are Looking For
TransForm is seeking a versatile and highly-organized Development Manager who can help us grow our individual giving program by deepening relationships with current donors and expanding our donor base.
About the position
The Development Manager oversees the annual donor program and supports donor stewardship to ensure we meet or exceed our individual donor fundraising goals. We are seeking an enthusiastic and responsible fundraiser to lead implementation of the annual donor program, including appeals, acknowledgements, cultivation, and benchmarking progress towards goals. This position also supports the Development Director in developing the individual giving plan, and in designing and implementing the major donor program. The Development Manager is a key position on the Development team and works with staff throughout the organization, board members, and donors at all levels of giving.
TransForm works to create world-class public transportation and walkable communities in the Bay Area and California. We build diverse coalitions, influence policy, and develop innovative programs to improve the lives of all people and protect the environment.
TransForm is an entrepreneurial organization with a collaborative and inclusive culture. Our staff of 25 works closely with partners at the local, regional, and state levels to create more healthy, connected, and affordable communities. Our main office is in downtown Oakland, with satellite offices in Sacramento and San Jose.
Your Key Responsibilities
Specific responsibilities include:
Overseeing the annual donor program (50%):
- Help develop — in partnership with the Development Director — a plan to reach individual giving program annual goals.
- Manage day-to-day program operations, including email solicitations, direct mail, and the donor acknowledgement process.
- Ensure that gift processing and acknowledgement are completed swiftly and accurately with the support of a part-time administrative staff person.
- Communicate professionally and respectfully with donors via email, phone calls, and in-person meetings and events as needed.
- Organize donor-oriented events in accordance with the individual giving plan, typically including one large event annually.
Supporting donor stewardship (20%):
- Keep current on key programmatic goals and accomplishments to be able to describe our impact to donors and help identify timely and strategic content for donor updates.
- Collaborate with the Development Director, Communications Director, and program staff in creating solicitation and recognition materials, such as the Annual Report, website and newsletter content, appeals, etc.
- Support the Development Director on the major donor program, including strategy, cultivation, stewardship, and solicitation.
- Help build a culture of philanthropy at TransForm by assisting with events and coordinating with program staff and the Board to help them contribute to fundraising efforts.
Maintaining effective systems for donor relations management and benchmarking (20%):
- Maintain an accurate and comprehensive Development Manual documenting gift processing and acknowledgement systems.
- Work with Communications Director to recommend and implement improvements to the donor database (Salesforce).
- Develop and implement regular reports and dashboards in Salesforce to track progress towards goals and identify opportunities for improvement.
- Partner with finance staff to complete monthly reconciliation process and other projects as needed.
Other team and organizational responsibilities (10%):
- Participate in regular team and staff meetings, and occasional retreats.
- Pursue strategic professional development to enhance personal skills and performance in ways that advance team/organizational capacity for success.
- Fulfill administrative requirements (timesheets, etc) and contribute to organization-wide efforts, such as the Social Justice Action Plan, as appropriate.
- Other relevant duties as needed.
You have these skills
- At least 2 years of relevant work experience in individual giving; strong knowledge of the concepts and best practices of individual donor fundraising, and a thirst for more.
- Strong communications skills including writing ability, clarity in spoken communications, and an ability to truly engage with people.
- Demonstrated ability to create messaging and marketing content, preferably across multiple channels.
- Exceptional project management skills with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, complete projects on tight deadlines, and rapidly respond to new developments.
- Effective collaboration on and across teams; ability to communicate clearly with colleagues, hold self and others accountable to agreements, and creatively solve problems.
- Proficient with a donor/Customer Relationship Management (CRM) database for tracking donations, tracking interactions with donors, and generating reports. Salesforce experience preferred.
- Proficient with MS Office Suite and Google apps (Drive, Gmail, etc).
- Proficient with online marketing software and tools.
- A "can-do" attitude; enthusiastic; graceful under pressure; self-motivated and directed; and a sense of humor and fun.
- A deep commitment to TransForm's mission and a strong desire to be a part of making positive environmental and social change in the world.
- Ability to support the values of the Social Justice Action Plan, and engage with program staff and external stakeholders in a manner that aligns with our internal culture of respect for diversity, inclusion, and equity.
- Personal and/or work experience with stakeholders and/or social justice organizations that integrate equity and inclusion in their internal and external communications.
You might ideally have these skills
- Experience with donor cultivation and online giving.
- Proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite.
- Experience with Predictive Response experience.
- Understanding of social media as relates to individual giving.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS: This is a full-time (37.5 hour/week), exempt position based in our downtown Oakland office. Compensation is $52,000 - $65,000 per year based on experience and skills. Compensation includes health and dental insurance, generous vacation time, and transit benefits. TransForm also administers a 403b retirement plan.
Our staff is focused on making positive change in the world and supports and values diversity. TransForm is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, LGBTQ persons, and women are strongly encouraged to apply.
TIMELINE: Applications are accepted until the position is filled. Phone interviews will likely begin the week of April 23, 2018. The target start date is June 1, depending on scheduling. To see if the position is still available, please go to www.TransFormCA.org and check if it is still listed in the “Jobs” section of our website. First Posted: March 23, 2018
HOW TO APPLY: Please complete this survey to receive further instructions: