What We are Looking For
TransForm is seeking an experienced policy advocate to oversee major campaigns and initiatives around the Bay Area. This Policy Advocacy Manager will work on transportation funding campaigns, coalition-building, and other initiatives to improve affordable access to transportation and affordable housing options in the Bay Area, with a focus on the needs of low-income and disadvantaged communities. Most of the scope of work will be within our Transportation that Works initiative.
About the position
The Policy Advocacy Manager will develop and lead regional and countywide efforts to ensure that transportation plans and billions of dollars of potential new investments advance equity, public health, and climate goals. This position will work with grassroots organizations, public agencies, unions, the private sector, and other partners to build winning coalitions, engage underrepresented communities in decision-making, lobby decision-makers, organize around elections, and more. The Policy Advocacy Manager will work under the supervision of TransForm’s Regional Policy Director.
An ideal candidate is politically-savvy, has experience in transportation and/or land use planning, and can skillfully navigate difficult conversations. The work will involve a wide range of issues and collaboration with organizations and leaders in the transportation, land use, housing, and social justice fields. Considerable local travel and participation in evening and weekend meetings will be required. The role may expand to include other projects and initiatives throughout the Bay Area.
This position will begin as soon as possible and may be based out of either TransForm’s main office in Oakland or our San Jose office.
TransForm is California’s leading advocate for healthy, connected communities with affordable transportation and housing choices. For over two decades, we’ve brought together environmental, social justice, and health advocates to shape transportation and land use decisions for the benefit of people and the planet.
TransForm is an entrepreneurial organization with a collaborative and inclusive culture. Our staff of 25+ works closely with partners at the local, regional, and state levels to create more healthy, connected, and affordable communities. Our main office is in downtown Oakland, with satellite offices in Sacramento and San Jose.
Your Key Responsibilities
Coalition-Building and Community Engagement (40%)
- Develop and lead campaigns, initiatives, and coalitions around transportation policy in diverse communities across the Bay Area.
- Develop and lead community education and engagement efforts in coordination with grassroots community-based organizations, transit advocates, and bicycle coalitions with a focus on diverse and underrepresented stakeholders.
- Establish and maintain deep relationships with community leaders and staff at partner nonprofit organizations, public agencies, and unions.
- Organize and plan public or coalition events that help inform and further key priorities.
Policy Analysis and Communication (40%)
- Analyze transportation policy issues in order to achieve social equity, environmental, and public health outcomes.
- Represent TransForm’s position in a variety of contexts: one-on-one with government and elected officials, partner groups, with media, in public meetings and at local, national, and statewide conferences and events.
- Produce a wide variety of written materials and informational media (e.g., emails, letters to public agencies, coalition platforms, reports on public policy, blog posts, action alerts, newsletter articles, website content, social media content, etc.) to inform and influence policy and public opinion.
- Engage the media, in coordination with our Communications Team, including participating in interviews with online, print, radio, and TV media.
- Participate in transportation agency committees (such as Samtrans, CCAG, BART, VTA, SFMTA, MTC, SFCTA, CCTA) to provide input into plans and policies.
- In coordination with our Communications Team, support the creation of effective, clear, and culturally appropriate outreach materials.
Project Management (20%)
- Track progress on project goals, objectives, and budgets.
- Maintain a sustainable personal work plan and contribute to team work-planning for the Transportation That Works initiative, or other initiatives as necessary.
- Participate in developing new campaign strategies and plan ahead for emerging opportunities.
- Assist in developing grant proposals, budgets, and grant reports.
You have these skills
- At least 3 years of demonstrated experience working on transportation and/or land use policy advocacy, including working on electoral campaigns, coalition-building, or community organizing.
- Significant personal and/or work experience with underserved or historically marginalized communities, and/or social justice organizations in the Bay Area.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including group facilitation, public speaking, and report writing.
- Effective collaboration on and across teams; ability to communicate clearly with colleagues, hold self and others accountable to agreements, and creatively solve problems.
- Proven success managing complex projects and/or campaigns.
- A deep commitment to TransForm's mission and a strong desire to be a part of making positive environmental and social change in the world.
- Flexibility to travel throughout the Bay Area and attend evening and weekend meetings and events, as necessary.
You might ideally have these skills
- An entrepreneurial, "can-do" attitude: enthusiasm for a wide range of tasks; graceful under pressure; self-motivated and directed; with a sense of humor.
- Bilingual skills in English and one of the following languages: Spanish, Cantonese, or Vietnamese.
- Graduate degree in urban planning, public policy, or a related field.
- Deep knowledge of transportation equity or environmental justice issues.
- Experience running social media campaigns and creating online campaign tools.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS: This is a full-time (37.5 hour/week) exempt position. Annual compensation is $65,000 - $70,000, based on experience and skills. Compensation includes health and dental insurance, generous vacation time, and transit benefits. TransForm also administers a 403b retirement plan.
Our staff is focused on making positive change in the world and supports and values diversity. TransForm is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, LGBTQ persons, women, and members of other underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
TIMELINE: As of August 23, 2019, this position has been filled.