Low-income students across California need your help to get to school!
California students need affordable, reliable public transportation to help them get to and stay in school. AB 17 gives free or reduced-fare transit passes to students from middle school and college to help them get to class and work affordably. AB 17 would also reduce car traffic, air pollution, and the health risks associated with greenhouse gas emissions from transportation. Click here to learn more about AB 17.
But right now, AB 17 is being held up in the Assembly Appropriations Committee and will die there unless committee members hear from you as soon as possible.
Please call the committee chair, Lorena Gonzalez Fletcher, and the committee member who represents you (or the district closest to you). Call them before the meeting on May 26 and tell them to support AB 17 for discount student transit passes.
Then send us an email letting us know who you called — and thank you!
Calling is super easy — we wrote a short script for you to use and provided the numbers for all of the committee members below.
Assembly Appropriations Committee members and phone numbers:
- Appropriations Chair Lorena Gonzalez Fletcher • D-San Diego • District 80 • 916-319-2080
- Vice Chair Frank Bigelow • R-O’Neals • District 5 • 916 319-2005
- Richard Bloom • D-Santa Monica • District 50 • 916-319-2050
- Raul Bocanegra • D-Pacoima • District 39 • 916-319-2039
- Rob Bonta • D-Alameda • District 18 • 916-319-2018
- William Brough • R-Dana Point • District 73 • 916-319-2073
- Ian Calderon • D-Whittier • District 57 • 916-319-2057
- Ed Chau • D-Monterey Park • District 49 • 916-319-2049
- Susan Talamantes Eggman • D-Stockton • District 13 • 916-319-2013
- Vince Fong • R-Bakersfield • District 34 • 916-319-2034
- Laura Friedman • D-Glendale • District 43 • 916-319-2043
- James Gallagher • R-Nicolaus • District 03 • 916-319-2003
- Eduardo Garcia • D-Coachella • District 56 • 916-319-2056
- Adam Gray • D-Merced District 21 • 916-319-2021
My name is _____ .
I am calling you to urge that Assemblymember ________ support AB 17 in the Appropriations Committee hearing on May 26, and give California students affordable and reliable choices for getting around. I support AB 17 because, in addition to reducing the cost of a student's education, giving students discount transit passes will also:
- Increase transit ridership,
- Reduce traffic congestion and parking demand on city streets,
- Help more young people get to school and jobs, and
- Reduce California’s greenhouse gas emissions.
For all of these reasons I implore you to support AB 17 as a way to support California's hard-working students, and as a tool for fighting climate change. Thank you.