We finally did it! After years of planning, research, and collaboration, I’m proud to announce the BETA release of a powerful and free new tool for planning more affordable, sustainable housing: GreenTRIP Connect.
Using GreenTRIP Connect, you can instantly calculate how a specific housing development can employ smart location, affordable homes, and traffic reduction strategies to reduce driving and greenhouse gas emissions. It also calculates how much money can be saved from these strategies.
But don’t take our word for it. Watch our new video, Why GreenTRIP Connect, to hear from experts like Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf and Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority CEO Nuria Fernandez about the value GreenTRIP Connect offers to city officials, developers, and community members.
While serving as Mayors of small Bay Area cities, my colleague Jennifer West and I both found that building affordable housing near public transportation was surprisingly difficult. We wanted to make it easier for communities with great public transportation to design and defend great projects - projects that would save developers and residents money, and reduce traffic and greenhouse gas emissions.
So we built GreenTRIP Connect for you:
- Community members who support more healthy, sustainable, and affordable communities for all
- City officials who want to reduce traffic and encourage more affordable homes
- Developers who shape our cities and communities by building new homes
Connect is intended to support you in designing smart, sustainable multi-family housing, in commenting on proposed housing developments in your community, and in shaping broader policies affecting housing, transportation and sustainability. But to make the most of this new tool, we need your support too! Here’s how:
- Tell us what you think of GreenTRIP Connect BETA. Over the next few months, we want your answers to the question, “How can we improve the design of Connect to best support you?” Please visit connect.greentrip.org and test drive the tool, then send us your feedback on what’s missing, what we can improve, or what could be easier to understand. With your help, we can make Connect even better.
- Try using Connect to analyze a site near you. Example address links below take you right to Connect - all you have to do is select a parcel:
- Spread the word about GreenTRIP Connect Connect is FREE on purpose - we want it to be an easy and accessible way for anyone to leverage important parking and planning data to help create better housing developments and more sustainable, affordable communities. Please tell your network about Connect and encourage them to provide feedback, too. You can use Facebook to share the Why GreenTRIP Connect video, tweet the link to your followers, post to your colleagues on LinkedIn, and more. Everyone who gives feedback on Connect over the next few months will be invited to our Connect launch party this winter. At the launch party, we will celebrate the full launch of a further improved Connect, announce new partner cities, and share our future plans.
- Learn more about Connect at an upcoming event. RSVP for our public webinar on August 25, or join us for a forum at SPUR Oakland on July 26. Can’t make it to those? We’ll add new events to our events calendar as they are confirmed.
- Sponsor GreenTRIP Connect to help us take this tool even further. We’re seeking launch partners to fund community trainings, so that Connect can become the go-to tool for anyone designing, planning, reviewing, or commenting on a housing development in California. Contact us at GreenTRIPInfo@TransFormCA.org about sponsorship today.
Or just get started now at connect.greentrip.org.
As with any big project, there are so many people to thank for their contributions to making Connect come to life.
Designer: Ann Cheng, GreenTRIP Program Director
Champion: Stuart Cohen, Executive Director
Project Manager: Jennifer West, GreenTRIP Policy Analyst
Communications, Outreach and Support: Jean Long, GreenTRIP Planner (former); David Beezer, GreenTRIP Program Associate; Shannon Tracey, Communications Director; Bianca Taylor, Communications Manager; the entire TransForm staff; the TransForm Board of Directors; and the GreenTRIP Advisory Committee
Center for Neighborhood Technology, CNT team
Director: Linda Young, Interim Executive Director, Director of Research and Project Management
Lead Researchers: Peter Haas, Ph.D., Chief Research Scientist; Greg Newmark, Ph.D. (formerly)
“Hand-Coded with Love” by Jon Kuta, Paul Esling
Senior GIS Analyst: Cindy Copp
GreenTRIP Connect 2015 Founding Sponsors
Partner Cities: City of Oakland, San Jose, Los Angeles and many more.
Valued input from diverse organizations: Great Communities Collaborative, LA Thrives, SV@Home, Youth United for Community Action, Friends of Caltrain, Mountain View Coalition for Sustainable Planning, East Bay Housing Organization, Greenbelt Alliance; State agencies: HCD, OPR, Caltrans, and more.