What We are Looking For
About the position
TransForm is seeking an experienced and inclusive leader to contribute to our continued growth into the equitable and inclusive organization we seek to be. Reporting to the Executive Director, the person in this position will:
- design, develop and oversee policies, processes and practices to promote employee engagement to serve the organization's mission and values;
- operationalize organizational values such as equity and inclusion, community engagement, and a partnership approach to our work;
- maintain strong communication and relationships with and among staff; and
- support the Board's operations.
CURRENTLY this position is a work-from-home position due to COVID19, with occasional trips to the Oakland office to process essential paperwork. When it is safe to re-open our office, the position will no longer be remote. In the meantime, TransForm will work with the selected applicant to review and ensure that work-from-home equipment is appropriate.
TransForm is California’s leading advocate for healthy, connected communities with affordable transportation and housing choices. For more than two decades, we’ve brought together environmental, social justice, and health advocates to shape transportation and land use decisions for the benefit of people and the planet.
TransForm is an entrepreneurial organization with a collaborative and inclusive culture. Our staff of 20+ works closely with partners at the local, regional, and state levels to create healthier, more connected, and affordable communities. Our office is in downtown Oakland.
Due to COVID-19, we are currently following state and local guidance to work from home. We will return to our office once health and safety conditions can be reasonably ensured, based on guidance from health officials. We do not yet know when this will happen or what that configuration might look like. This position will be working from home until that time.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Oversee and lead human resource efforts, with a strategy and approach that supports equity, inclusion and engagement.
- Update and implement personnel and other policies.
- Hear and respond to staff complaints and conflicts, and work with staff to resolve sensitive issues, including serving as a mediator or coach when appropriate.
- Update, oversee, and monitor hiring, orientation, on-boarding, and termination processes to support anti-racism, equity and inclusion, and guard against bias and other barriers to employment.
- Develop a comprehensive salary strategy and ensure fair and consistent decision-making on salaries. Update pay consistency assessments to inform budget and HR decisions.
- Work with Operations Manager to ensure benefits are up to date and in alignment with goals, staff needs, and budget.
- Review job descriptions with staff regularly, and develop new job descriptions as appropriate, to ensure they accurately reflect appropriate and current duties for the organization mission, programs and goals.
- Update and conduct employee annual review process, including updating forms and procedures for gathering staff input, and conduct staff engagement survey.
- Monitor turnover, promotion and salary data, as well as results of annual employee survey, to ensure efforts are resulting in expected outcomes.
- Ensure the smooth running of the organization, including interpersonally, logistically, functionally, and technically.
- Practice and model effective leadership and supervision skills with a partnership and coaching approach.
- Support directors and managers in effective supervision of staff, providing coaching on onboarding, professional development, accountability, and separation as necessary.
- Serve as a member of the Management Team.
- Manage operations department’s budget.
- Work with staff and Board to build and maintain an equitable and collegial organizational culture that supports the values and mission of the organization.
- Develop interventions, activities, and processes to strengthen and maintain a productive and healthy organizational culture, oriented towards learning and professional development.
- Monitor morale, engagement and satisfaction of employees.
- Collaborate with the Equity and Inclusion Committee to steer TransForm’s development as an anti-racist organization, both internally and externally.
- Support a culture of learning and professional development on topics such as anti-racism, social justice, intersectionality, communication, conflict resolution, as well as legal compliance and best practices on hiring, workplace harassment, and safety.
- Identify training and other professional development opportunities for staff, and facilitate trainings as needed.
- Manage calendar for the Board (generally meets every two months) and its committees.
- For Board meetings, support creation of materials, collection into a cohesive packet, and distribution.Provide backup to Board Secretary on note-taking if needed.
- Ensure collection and management of notes (taken by others) from Board meetings and committee/task group meetings, and manage Board-related files.
- Ensure coordination and supportive logistics for Board meetings, from virtual meeting spaces to food and printed materials for in-person meetings.
You have these skills
- Experience or training in the fields of Human Resources and/or Organizational Development.
- High degree of emotional intelligence
- Understanding and demonstrated commitment to equity and inclusion
- Understanding and awareness of Human Resources practices and procedures
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Demonstrated skills in participant-centered facilitation
- Creative and innovative problem solving skills
- Ability to work across teams within the organization
- Ability to work in an effective manner quickly and deliberately, ability to work in a busy environment, and can tolerate interruptions
- Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems
- Knowledge of Google Apps suite, Microsoft Office programs, and other basic email and web software
You might ideally have these skills
- MA, BA or equivalent experience in Organizational Development, Human Resources, or related field
- At least three years of administrative and/or management experience in a nonprofit, member-owned cooperative, or mission-driven business
- Training and/or experience in conflict resolution or mediation
- Working knowledge of labor law in CA
- Broad understanding of nonprofit finance and accounting
- Comfortable working with a Board of Directors
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
This position may be hired at 80%-100% of full-time (where full-time = 37.5 hours/week), and is an exempt position starting immediately. Please indicate in your cover letter whether you are interested in 80% time, 100% time, or are flexible.
Competitive salary range equivalent to $70,000 – $80,000/year, commensurate with experience. Compensation includes health, dental, and vision insurance, flexible spending account for medical and dependent care, generous vacation and sick time, and transit benefits. TransForm also administers a 403b retirement plan. We offer a friendly, fast-paced, flexible workplace.
Our staff is focused on making a positive change in the world and supports and values diversity. TransForm is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, LGBTQIA+ people, women, and members of other underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled and will be reviewed on a rolling basis. The interview process may begin as early as the week of February 15. Interviews will be conducted remotely, via phone and Zoom. We intend the position to begin in late March.
FIRST POSTED: January 22, 2021
HOW TO APPLY: Please complete this survey to receive further instructions: