What We are Looking For
About the position
TransForm seeks an experienced, highly organized individual with good communication skills to collaborate with our team in implementing our Safe Routes to Schools (SR2S) activities in selected public schools throughout Oakland.
CURRENTLY this position is a work-from-home position due to COVID19. TransForm will work with the selected applicant to review and ensure that work-from-home equipment is appropriate. During Shelter in Place, our Safe Routes program has adapted to provide resources and activities to support schools and families in keeping kids safe, active, and engaged while at home.
About Safe Routes to Schools
Safe Routes to Schools is a national and international movement to create safe, convenient, and fun opportunities for children and their families to walk, bicycle, carpool and take transit to and from schools, with a particular emphasis on low-income schools. TransForm provides site coordination for the Alameda County Safe Routes to Schools program. During Shelter in Place, our Safe Routes program has adapted to provide resources and activities to support schools and families in keeping kids safe, active, and engaged while at home.
TransForm is California’s leading advocate for healthy, connected communities with affordable transportation and housing choices. For over two decades, we’ve brought together environmental, social justice, and health advocates to shape transportation and land use decisions for the benefit of people and the planet.
TransForm is an entrepreneurial organization with a collaborative and inclusive culture. Our staff of 20+ works closely with partners at the local, regional, and state levels to create healthier, more connected, and affordable communities. Our office is in downtown Oakland.
Due to COVID-19, we are currently following state and local guidance to work from home. We will return to our office once health and safety conditions can be reasonably ensured, based on guidance from healht officials. We do not yet know when this will happen or what that configuration might look like. This position will be working from home until that time.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Working under the supervision of the program manager, implement Safe Routes to Schools programming at selected elementary and middle schools in Oakland.
- Recruit and train parent leaders, school champions, and community partners at targeted and participating schools.
- Partner with team members to involve stakeholders including city agencies, affordable housing sites, and community-based organizations to facilitate program implementation at individual school sites.
- Reach out to and meet with principals and other school staff as needed to successfully implement the program in schools.
- Lead education and encouragement activities and events, including but not limited to: Walk and Roll to School Days, the Golden Sneaker Contest, Bike to School Day, etc.
- Coordinate with Oakland Unified School District partners to support district SR2S Wellness Champion program and provide program evaluation information.
- Collaborate with coworkers to create at-home Safe Routes to Schools activities for students for remote learning.
- NOTE: In light of COVID health and safety concerns, we have changed many in-person meetings and events into virtual events. When and how these meetings will resume in person will be determined based on health officials' guidance.
You have these skills
- Demonstrated sensitivity and understanding of issues facing low-income communities of color; ability to work comfortably in diverse communities and settings; high level of cultural competency.
- Experience implementing a program that engages and empowers parents as valuable contributors and decision-makers.
- Skilled at engaging volunteers in organizing events and campaigns, conducting outreach, and building support for an ongoing program.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office programs and other basic email and web software.
- A deep commitment to the mission and philosophy of Safe Routes to Schools and TransForm, and a strong desire to be a part of making positive environmental and social change in the world.
You might ideally have these skills
- At least 2 years of experience working with parents and/or school staff, in Safe Routes to Schools programs, other school programs, and/or experience in community and/or school-based organizing.
- Experience with event planning; outreach and publicity for community and school events.
- History of good working relationships with and understanding of issues facing Oakland's diverse families, students, and school communities.
- Bilingual in English and at least one other language commonly spoken by Oakland school populations.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS: This is a full-time (37.5 hour/week), exempt position, starting immediately. Competitive salary range equivalent to $60,000 - $63,000/year, commensurate with experience. Compensation includes health, dental, and vision insurance, flexible spending account for medical and dependent care, generous vacation and sick time, and transit benefits. TransForm also administers a 403b retirement plan. We offer a friendly, fast-paced, flexible workplace.
Our staff is focused on making a positive change in the world and supports and values diversity. TransForm is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, LGBTQ persons, women, and members of other underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
TIMELINE: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, and will be reviewed on a rolling basis. This hiring process will move quickly, so we strongly recommend applying as soon as possible. We expect the interview process to be conducted remotely, via phone and online video. We intend for the position to begin in early November. Please do not call or email to follow up on an application. Only candidates who receive an interview will be notified of the final decision.
FIRST POSTED: October 1, 2020
HOW TO APPLY: Please complete this survey to receive further instructions: