What We are Looking For
About the position
The Controller / Finance Director is responsible for oversight of finance, accounting, and reporting activities, and will lead day-to-day finance operations of a $3.5 million budget. They report to the Executive Director and work in close partnership with other Directors as part of the Management Team. Consulting support is available if needed.
CURRENTLY this position is a work-from-home position due to COVID19, with occasional trips to the Oakland office to process essential paperwork. When it is safe to re-open our office, the position will no longer be remote. In the meantime, TransForm will work with the selected applicant to review and ensure that work-from-home equipment is appropriate.
TransForm is California’s leading advocate for healthy, connected communities with affordable transportation and housing choices. For more than two decades, we’ve brought together environmental, social justice, and health advocates to shape transportation and land use decisions for the benefit of people and the planet.
TransForm is an entrepreneurial organization with a collaborative and inclusive culture. Our staff of 20+ works closely with partners at the local, regional, and state levels to create healthier, more connected, and affordable communities. Our office is in downtown Oakland.
Due to COVID-19, we are currently following state and local guidance to work from home. We will return to our office once health and safety conditions can be reasonably ensured, based on guidance from health officials. We do not yet know when this will happen or what that configuration might look like. This position will be working from home until that time.
- Supervise the staff accountant performing transactional accounting, payroll, benefits administration, and financial reporting.
- Coordinate and direct financial planning and budgeting, including the annual organizational budget, multi-year plans, and grant proposal budgets.
- Develop internal control policies, procedures and guidelines for activities such as budget administration, cash and credit management, and accounting.
- Prepare or direct preparation of financial statements, reports, contract invoices, and forecasts for internal and external stakeholders.
- Analyze financial information to support decision making.
- Ensure compliance with policies, laws, and regulations, including coordination of annual audit and preparation of IRS Form 990.
- Manage cash and investments.
- Maintain and disseminate current knowledge of organizational policies and procedures, government regulations, and accounting standards.
- Provide C-Suite level organizational leadership and strategic direction.
- Five plus years of related experience, ideally in a nonprofit setting.
- Bachelor’s and CPA, MBA or other advanced degree preferred, or additional high-level experience without a degree.
- Knowledge of mathematics, economics, business management, and generally accepted accounting principles for nonprofit organizations.
- Strong critical thinking, judgment, problem-solving, time management, and priority setting.
- Experience with large, multi-year government project budgets.
- Demonstrated technology skills, including accounting software, spreadsheets, word processing, databases, and cloud-based tools.
- Experience with selecting and overseeing software installations and managing relationships with software vendors a plus.
- Ability to work well with others as part of a team, including understanding and commitment to equity and inclusion.
- Proficiency in written and oral communication, including good listening.
- Ability to translate complex financial concepts to individuals at all levels, including non- finance managers.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Full-time salary of $105,000 per year. This position may be hired at 80%-100% of full-time (where full-time = 37.5 hours per week), and it is an exempt position. Please indicate in your cover letter whether you are interested in 80% time, 100% time, or are flexible.
Benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance, flexible spending account for medical and dependent care, generous vacation and sick time, and transit benefits. TransForm also administers a 403b retirement plan.
We offer a friendly, fast-paced, flexible, and collaborative workplace.
Our staff is focused on making a positive change in the world and supports and values diversity. TransForm is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, LGBTQIA+ people, women, and members of other underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled and will be reviewed on a rolling basis. The interview process may begin as early as the week of March 15. Interviews will be conducted remotely, via phone and Zoom. Ideally, we will fill the position by mid-April.
FIRST POSTED: March 8, 2021
HOW TO APPLY: Please complete this survey (embedded below) to receive further instructions: