Who We Are
TransForm is California’s leading advocate for healthy, connected communities with affordable transportation and housing choices. For more than two decades, we’ve brought together environmental, social justice, and health advocates to shape transportation and land use decisions for the benefit of people and the planet.
TransForm is an entrepreneurial organization with a collaborative and inclusive culture. Our staff works closely with partners at the local, regional, and state levels to create healthier, more connected, and affordable communities. Our office is in downtown Oakland.
Currently, this position is a work-from-home position due to COVID-19. When it is safe to re-open our office, the position will no longer be remote. In the meantime, TransForm will work with the selected applicant to review and ensure that work-from-home equipment is appropriate. For more information about TransForm, please visit https://www.transformca.org.
About the Position
We are seeking a Director of Communications to develop TransForm’s communication strategy, brand, and social media presence to engage our community and expand our reach. This position will report to the Executive Team, and serve as an integral member of TransForm’s leadership.
Your Key Responsibilities
Strategic Communications (35%)
- Develop and oversee annual organizational communications plan, with support and input from other staff; assess progress on benchmarks regularly and change course as needed.
- Oversee organizational editorial calendar and content across all channels: website, email, social media, traditional media, and events.
- Coordinate with development and program staff to incorporate fundraising, campaign, and outreach priorities into communications activities. Provide support to development and program teams to inform communications aspects of their strategies and tactics.
Brand Management (20%)
- Steward TransForm’s brand for key external communications; regularly evaluate and update brand strategy to reflect TransForm’s mission, values, and target audiences.
- Maintain and update style guides, messaging guides, photo library, and other resources; offer new and refresher training for staff and board as needed.
- Ensure proper messaging and brand consistency for all external publications (print and online), events, public appearances, and other collateral.
- Manage TransForm’s website, including consultant, content strategy, hosting/domain registration, and overall site architecture.
Content Development & Distribution (20%)
- Author blogs, web content, press releases, handouts, and other print and online materials for target audiences; develop and implement distribution strategy to maximize reach of all content.
- Serve as primary author and publisher for major organizational pieces such as the annual report and annual priorities overview.
Media Relations (10%)
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of overall California and Bay Area current affairs, media markets, and print/online/radio/TV outlets and reporters, with particular emphasis on issues related to TransForm’s work.
- Develop and oversee earned media strategy, benchmarks, and tracking; support campaigns and other initiatives with specific media/outreach strategies as needed.
- Cultivate relationships with key reporters and outlets; pitch media on stories, opinion pieces, and events; serve as TransForm’s media contact and, as needed, spokesperson.
Organizational Leadership (15%)
- Serve on the Management Team with other department directors, to collaborate and implement organization-wide decisions and policy-making.
- Support and participate in other activities as needed, including TransForm’s Equity and Inclusion efforts, fundraising campaigns, staff training and retreats.
You Have These Skills
- Five (5) years demonstrated experience as a results-driven communications leader. This ideally includes deep, relevant experience within all of the key responsibility areas listed above.
- Exceptional writing skills and experience with writing in different voices, for different audiences, and at very different lengths.
- Exceptional interpersonal listening and communication skills (written and verbal).
- Experience in a policy advocacy or campaign setting, and an understanding of the role of communications in achieving policy changes and political wins.
- Experience with social media strategy and management (Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, YouTube, and LinkedIn).
- Knowledge of web design and user experience.
- Skill in demonstrating excellent editing, visual design and HTML.
- Skill in media relations and graphic design.
- Ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing.
- Ability to work well with people at all levels, both inside and outside of the organization.
- Ability to work with grace under pressure in a fast-paced environment and stay focused and calm.
- Ability to prioritize tasks, make sound decisions, and track and complete diverse assignments.
- Ability to organize, manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines.
- Existing relationships with Bay Area reporters who cover TransForm’s issue areas.
- A commitment to TransForm’s mission, social justice, and strong desire to be a part of making positive environmental and social change in the world.
- A strong interest in and understanding of transportation and land use issues
- Drupal experience is a big plus.
- Salesforce, Salsalabs, Predictive Response, or similar online marketing tools.
Physical Demands/Work Environment
- Frequent and daily computer-based work, particularly typing and mousing.
- Sitting and standing.
- Regular telephone conversations and occasional public speaking.
- May be directed to support event activities and/or set up for events.
- Normal business hours (M-F, 9:00 AM-5:00 PM) but occasionally some weekend and evening hours will be required.
- Casual and friendly work environment; occasionally, business casual or formal business attire required for external meetings and events.
- Occasional travel to external meetings events, usually via public transportation; current CA drivers’ license may be helpful but is not required.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
This is a full-time (37.5 hours/week), exempt position. Competitive salary ranging from $84,000 - $88,000, commensurate with experience. Compensation includes health, dental, and vision insurance, flexible spending account for medical and dependent care, generous vacation and sick time, and transit benefits. We offer a friendly, fast-paced, flexible workplace.
Our staff is focused on making a positive change in the world and supports and values diversity. TransForm is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, LGBTQ persons, women, and members of other underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
**All TransForm employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19**
TIMELINE: Review of applications will be on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
HOW TO APPLY: Please email a single PDF containing a descriptive cover letter, your resume, and a short writing sample to [email protected] with a subject line of "Communications Director Application - YOUR NAME".
First Posted: August 10, 2021
Re-posted: October 28, 2021