2015 was a big year for TransForm.
After I returned from a three-month summer sabbatical, I was reminded of TransForm’s organizational strength, and how committed all of our staff members are to our mission.
When I look back on all of 2015 (as one tends to do during the holidays), there are a few big things that stand out to me: victories I am proud of, moments I am grateful for, and campaigns I can’t wait to rev up in the new year.
Here’s a snapshot of some of these highlights from the past year:
- We launched our Climate Benefits Map and Campaign at www.ClimateBenefitsCA.org. This map was months in the making. For the first time ever, you can see the benefits from California’s climate investments, all on our searchable online map. I am thrilled about its potential to extend and strengthen California’s climate leadership, and to reinforce the benefits of investing money in affordable homes and sustainable transportation. I even had the chance to give Governor Brown a tour of the map, thousands of feet in the air!
- After more than a decade of work, we got to see the Bay Area’s first Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) line break ground in Oakland. We worked tirelessly to make sure that local businesses owners, residents, and people who ride transit would benefit from this fast bus line. With BRT, East Oakland is poised to become a safer place for people to get to jobs, school, shopping, and more. Plus, other regions around the state (and country) are looking to East Oakland as an example for how BRT can happen right.
- Governor Brown signed AB 744, a bill that we cosponsored and advocated for. AB 744 will help developers build more affordable, senior, and special needs housing near public transit, with much lower parking requirements. It’s a revolutionary and powerful piece of legislation that we are thrilled to have helped win.
- We also threw a great party, our 2015 LIVE Awards + Benefit! What an inspiring and awesome evening that was, especially when we heard from our LIVE Award honorees, Mary Nichols and Vien Truong. Vien’s closing remark (a quote by Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.) truly summed up what the spirit of equity, leadership, and compassion that we strive to carry with us in our work: “We may have all come on different ships, but we’re in the same boat now.”
But all the successes of 2015 are just paving the way for more exciting moments in 2016, including:
- Fighting Big Oil to keep California healthy, fair, and affordable;
- Launching our GreenTRIP Connect Tool to help ease California’s affordable housing crisis;
- Bringing bikeshare and carshare to more corridors across Oakland;
- Winning more funding so Caltrain, BART, AC Transit and other transit agencies can expand service.
But before I get ahead of myself, I have to say: you make all of our successes, and our visions of change for the future, possible.
When you become a TransForm donor you help us tackle our most important issues: providing transportation and housing choices to keep California affordable while combatting our climate crisis. Without your support we have great ideas, but no way to realize the vision of wonderful, walkable communities for all.
So please, donate to TransForm today and help us Move California Forward.
Happy Holidays, and we’ll see you in the New Year!